No ads. No life stories. Just recipes.
Potato Peel Broth
- peel from 6 - 7 large, brown-skinned potatoes
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 2 carrots, scrubbed but unpeeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 qts. water
- 1 large sprig parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- pinch sage
- 1 clove garlic
- tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients except tabasco and lemon juice in a large pot and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Strain out the vegetables for a clear broth. Sieve or puree in blender for a thicker broth, first removing the garlic and bay leaf.
- Add a few drops of Tabasco sauce and lemon juice before serving to bring out the flavours.
Makes 6 cups.
Attribution: Potato Peel Broth by Cary Elizabeth Marshall, Thunder Bay, Ontario. As found in The Harrowsmith Cookbook: Volume Number 1.