No ads. No life stories. Just recipes.
Habitant Pea Soup
- 1 lb. split yellow peas
- 2 qts. water
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 sprigs parsley, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 thick slices heavily smoked bacon
- Soak the peas in water overnight.
- Bring to a boil in a large saucepan and add carrot, onion and salt. Reduce to a simmer.
- Add parsley, bay leaf, and chopped bacon. Simmer for 3 - 4 hours until thick, adding water if needed.
- Remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings, and serve.
Serves 6 - 8.
Attribution: Habitant Pea Soup by Cary Elizabeth Marshall, Thunder Bay, Ontario. As found in The Harrowsmith Cookbook: Volume Number 1.