No ads. No life stories. Just recipes.
French Onion Soup
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 - 6 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 cups toasted croutons
- Cook onions in butter over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, lemon juice, nutmeg, and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. Cook gently until onions are tender. Season with salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese.
- Divide the Swiss cheese between two soup bowls. Ladle in soup, top with croutons, and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is lightly browned.
Attribution: French Onion Soup by Christine Collis, Burlington, Ontario. As found in The Harrowsmith Cookbook: Volume Number 1.