No ads. No life stories. Just recipes.
Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 1/2 cups dried lima beans
- 2 lbs. ham, with bone
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 8 3/4 cups water
- 1 bouquet garni, consisting of 4 parsley sprigs, 1 spray thyme, 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 20 large black olives, halved
- 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover.
- Drain beans and place in large saucepan with ham, onion, and garlic. Add water and bring to a boil on high.
- Add the bouquet garni and pepper to the pot and stir. Lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Discard the bouquet garni. Remove meat, cut into pieces, and return to pot.
- Puree some of the beans and return to soup. Stir in the olives and season as necessary.
- Serve, garnished with parsley.
Serves 6 - 8.
Attribution: Bean and Ham Soup by Dolores de Rosario, Hamilton, Ontario. As found in The Harrowsmith Cookbook: Volume Number 1.