No ads. No life stories. Just recipes.
Spring Salmon with Cream and Chive Sauce
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 2 - 3 stalks celery
- 1 - 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 cups fish stock
- 1 cup white wine
- salt and white pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 fresh salmon fillets
- 1 bunch chives
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- Dip lettuce leaves in boiling water and rinse in cold water.
- Cut celery, carrots, and leeks julienne style. Blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water, then saute in butter for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Combine stock, wine, salt, pepper, onion, and lemon juice.
- Spread out lettuce leaves, grouping 3 - 4 to each serving. Place salmon on top, salt, pepper, and vegetables.
- Fold leaves as for cabbage rolls, then simmer in stock for 10 - 15 minutes, remove, and keep warm.
- Boil stock to reduce to one third. Add chives, cream, and heat until slightly thickened. Whisk in butter and pour around salmon.
- Serve, garnished with parsley.
Attribution: Spring Salmon with Cream and Chive Sauce by Ascona Place Restaurant, Gravenhurst, Ontario. As found in The Harrowsmith Cookbook: Volume Number 1.