No ads. No life stories. Just recipes.
Haddock Fillets with Mushroom Sauce
- 2 1/2 lbs. haddock fillets
- 1 tsp. salt
- pinch pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. oil
- pinch white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh dill
- Pat fillets dry with a paper towel, season on both sides with 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, and cayenne, and dust lightly with 1 tbsp. flour.
- Place 1 tbsp. butter and oil in a heavy frying pan. Heat and brown fillets, one at a time, on both sides. Place on heated serving platter to keep warm.
- Melt 4 tbsp. butter and oil in a heavy saucepan and stir in 4 tbsp. flour, white pepper, and remaining salt. Slowly stir in milk until sauce is creamy. Add mushrooms.
- Pour mushroom sauce over fish and garnish with dill.
Serves 4 - 6.
Attribution: Haddock Fillets with Mushroom Sauce by Brenda Eckstein, Kamloops, B.C. As found in The Harrowsmith Cookbook: Volume Number 1.